What?! They Give You A Medal For Finishing?!

They Give You A Medal For Finishing?!

After the Baltimore Half Marathon Suze, Sarah and I decided to visit Chick-Fil-A for a quick lunch on our way back into DC.  We wore our medals into the store (obviously) and a guy with his three barefoot children (true story – no shoes in a fast food restaurant) thought we won.  When we said we got the medals for finishing he said “What?! They give you a medal for finishing??” I responded that I thought we deserved a medal after running 13.1 miles.  He asked what the winners get. We said money.  That seemed to make him care a little less about our medals.

Ryan Hall competes to grow his medal collection. True story.... or not.

(Picture Source)

Oh, I Thought You Would Be Faster…

Chick-Fil-A guy gets an eye roll from me. I’ve heard plenty of people ask why everyone gets a medal and I get that some people are just really competitive or something.  There are plenty of more annoying questions you can ask a runner.  Like how fast are you?

As soon as I got home from Baltimore I took my dog out for a walk.  He’d be home alone for about 8 hours and I felt bad. I took off my medal but I still had my bib number pinned to my shirt.  I ran into a neighbor outside who asked how I did and I said awesome – I finished way faster than my last half marathon and like 2 minutes ahead of my goal time. Of course he had to know more. Well how fast did you finish? Under 2 hours? I told him he wasn’t even close and he assumed I meant faster so he started throwing out guesses that got all the way down to 1:45 before I said “Oh my god, I’m way slower than that! I’m not fast. It doesn’t matter. At all.”  His response – “But you’re skinny…” Sigh.

Believe it or not (probably believe it since I’m sure most people reading this have met their share of nonrunners who say the darndest things) he’s not the first person that has said that to me.  I got that very same comment in a meeting at work after the GW Parkway 10 Miler and I was totally taken aback by it. At least it left me better prepared for when I got it again.

What Happens If You Have To Pee??

One of my mom’s cousins live in DC and every so often we get together for dinner and drinks.  She and her husband are in their 60′s and they’re not the exercising type. But that doesn’t mean they’re not completely impressed by the idea of running 13.1 miles. On Monday night we had the following conversation at dinner:

Cousin: But what about bathrooms? What do you do if you have to go to the bathroom?

Me: There are port-a-potties.

Cousin: What? You’re stuck running for that long and you have to use a port-a-potty? And all you get is a medal? It’s a nice medal but I think you deserve a trophy.  Or money. They should be paying you to run these races!

I can’t really say I disagree with that ;-)

What is the craziest question or comment you’ve received from a nonrunner? If you don’t run what’s the craziest question you’ve received about your favorite way to workout?

19 Responses to What?! They Give You A Medal For Finishing?!
  1. Suzy
    October 19, 2011 | 12:41 pm

Yeah the CFA guy was hysterical in the most obnoxious way. i think we were all a little flabbergasted at his questions. :/

Recently, i was asked if it hurts to be on your feet running for 4 hours (when i did my 17.5miler the other week). And what do you say – I mean, it doesn’t *hurt* but it is sore/achey… your muscles are being put to the test… sigh.

they just don’t get it.
    Suzy recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Fun with Siri.My Profile

2. Sarah
    October 19, 2011 | 1:05 pm

LOL. That guy from Chick-Fil-A was too funny. I’m glad you answered him, but I didn’t know what to say to him.

hmm…port-a-potties… i know a ton of people who just pee on themseleves :)

I can’t think of any dumb questions peole have asked me, but it always bugs me when someone doesn’t know the distance of the race. Yes a marathon is 26.2 miles, not 20 or 27 miles.
    Sarah recently posted..Wordless Wed ~ bmore editionMy Profile

3. laura
    October 19, 2011 | 1:27 pm

I kinda get the “so everyone gets a medal?!” confusion. It’s like the grown-up version of the kids’ soccer tournament where every kid gets a trophy.

My default come back is something along the lines of your comeback (“we ran 13.1 miles, we deserve a medal.). If they’re snippy about it I usually throw in a ‘YOU run 13.1 miles in a race and YOU can get a medal too’ just for my own fun of pointing out how lazy they are. :)
    laura recently posted..Ankle braces galore!My Profile

4. Steena
    October 19, 2011 | 2:15 pm

Agggggjhh, yes, you’re right, we all get stupid questions/remarks after a race!
    I do my best to just not bring it up to non-runners, but it still happens. The one I dislike is, “I didn’t see your name in the paper, I guess you didn’t win”
    Agghghghhhg!!’ stab!!
    Just smile & nod at those people.

5. Victoria (District Chocoholic)
    October 19, 2011 | 2:35 pm

Finishers medals annoy me, actually. I mean, come on, we aren’t 2nd graders.

Now, trophies/plaques for placing? Gimme.

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      October 19, 2011 | 4:42 pm

I am clearly in second grade. :) I never place – and never played a sport in HS or college where I placed (or even got trophies for participating… wtf?) so this is so fun for me!

• Kathryn
        October 19, 2011 | 5:43 pm

Yeah hands off my finishers medal. I will never place or win anything athletic in my life. Never have, never will but somebody going “Hey, what you did was really hard, well done!” with a finishers medal? Please and thank you.
        Kathryn recently posted..Fatty, fat, fat, fatMy Profile

• Victoria (District Chocoholic)
        October 20, 2011 | 11:20 am

My HS/college medals are in a shoebox in my closet (unless I lost them in my last move). I like practical stuff – like race towels/visors/hats/tech shirts/glassware – more than medals if it’s for finishing.
        Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Recchiuti: Peanut Honey BatonsMy Profile

6. Sana
    October 19, 2011 | 2:37 pm

Bahhhh. I can’t believe I got a medal for running the 5k. I am clearly baller!

7. Kate
    October 19, 2011 | 2:38 pm

I love that everyone gets a medal! That’s the reason I want to run a half (and also the reason I haven’t signed up for one yet – cause its a silly reason).

I think the funnier part is that it never occurred to me that you might have to pee in the middle of a marathon. Sigh. I have so much to learn.
    Kate recently posted..Why “No One” Comments on Your BlogMy Profile

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      October 19, 2011 | 4:40 pm

I’ve never had to use a bathroom during a race *knock on wood* and I hope I don’t because portapotties skeeve me out so much!
      Also, I love medals and the Baltimore medal was the reason I signed up for that race (a cartoon crab? count me in!). I’m glad I did because it was the most fun race I’ve done to date :)

8. sugarmagnolia70
    October 19, 2011 | 3:41 pm

All true! I just wanted to add that this summer I volunteered at a local half marathon and was at the end handing out the medals. The elite runners who finished 1st, 2nd & 3rd didn’t even want their medals, just walked right on by. But everyone else, and I mean EVERYONE wanted their medals. They’re coveted and a tangible proof of a job well done, regardless of speed.
    sugarmagnolia70 recently posted..Hooray for Kindergarten!My Profile

9. Lee
    October 19, 2011 | 7:27 pm

I get a lot of, “Why would you want to pay to run?”
    Lee recently posted..Fall is HereMy Profile

10. Coco
    October 19, 2011 | 10:50 pm

LOL, Lee, that is a good question! When my son was younger, he asked me why I would enter a race if I knew I couldn’t win.
    Coco recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (The Minimalist Edition)My Profile

11. Jessica B.
    October 20, 2011 | 8:45 am

I get a lot of people who ask how far a marathon is, which is fine not everyone knows. But they always comment afterwards “that’s farther than I like to drive”. Another favorite is when I run a 5K and people call it a marathon, ummmm not quite.

12. Abby
    October 21, 2011 | 8:52 am

I got the same response after running Baltimore! Some guy stopped me in Zoe’s and had the same series of questions – did you win? wait, you got a medal but you didn’t win? what did the winner get? what time did you finish in? … oh ….

13. Babs
    November 3, 2011 | 11:18 am

I so relate to this post. After running the Chicago Marathon last month, my father asked, “So how far was that marathon?”
    I’ve also been asked more times than I can count, “Why do you run?” I’ve taken to looking at the person with my head at an angle and replying, “Zombies. You never know when they’re around the corner.” It tends to stop the other person from talking.

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      November 3, 2011 | 12:16 pm

Babs, that’s too funny about the zombies! I was shouting that at runners at the Marine Marathon on Sunday. “Go runners! You’re going to survive a zombie apocalypse!!”
      They seemed to appreciate it :)