Hey Running…I’m Starting to Think We Should See Other People

I saw Gretchen do a confessions  post yesterday and it gave me a kick to finally write a post I’ve been avoiding for awhile.

This is my confession….

I don’t want to run any spring long distance races and…I don’t feel bad about it anymore.  Ever since I was sick this spring – and subsequently had a horrible chest cold after Runner’s World Half that I’m *still* coughing from – I’ve been beating myself up constantly for not being in shape to train for something. Nothing I did was good enough for me if it wasn’t running. If I was running short distances, I wanted to run FASTER. If I was running long distances I wanted it to feel as good as it did last winter when I was in really good running shape. Not surprisingly, after 5 months with hardly any running, my runs have been bad and I would beat myself up more. I haven’t been kind to my body and that needs to stop.

I just want to be able to do what I want to do without wondering if it’s enough. Did my lunch run cover enough miles to be worth it? Am I running long enough? Am I running fast enough? I’m working with a trainer so I should be getting faster, why are my speed sessions so rough? I’m done with the questions.

All of this just isn’t healthy. It’s the opposite of the stress relief I’m looking for. I want to do the elliptical sometimes without feeling bad. I want to do a crazy Jillian Michaels DVD and workout with my trainer without worrying that it might make my legs too sore to run tomorrow. I want to just do what I feel like doing. So that’s what I’m doing. One or two runs a week and then anything else.

The end of this year will be all about being happy and if that doesn’t involve running I don’t even care. At all. Ok, that’s not totally true – I’m crying a little on the inside as a I write this.

So running… I’m taking a break from you. We can still hang out sometimes but only when I feel like it. I’m selfish like that.

I’m looking for some suggestions on how to entertain myself. What are some of your favorite classes/DVDs/ways to stay fit when you’re not running?

27 Responses to Hey Running…I’m Starting to Think We Should See Other People
  1. Melissa
    November 27, 2012 | 1:16 pm

What about P90X? I’m sure you could get a great deal on the DVDs now with the holidays just around the corner. I kinda got overwhelmed a bit when trying to do both P90X and running, so I think it would be perfect for you!
    Melissa recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon Race RecapMy Profile

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      November 27, 2012 | 2:42 pm

That’s a good idea – I never thought of the P90X thing. Hmmm. I wonder how much it would disrupt my downstairs neighbors….

2. Kayla
    November 27, 2012 | 1:19 pm

I think it’s totally reasonable and healthy to take a break from running. Good for you for realizing that’s the path you need to take.

My favorite nonrunning workouts? Jillian Michaels’ 30-Day Shred, Blast Fast, Boost Metabolism or Yoga Meltdown (all of which are on YouTube in some form); Blogilates workouts; elliptical intervals; long walks with the dog.

Good luck!

3. Laney
    November 27, 2012 | 1:26 pm

When I decided to take a break from running I got really into barre classes. I own all the Physique 57 DVDs and they are seriously a kick in the butt. I also spend more time spinning to get that sweat soaked feeling that I usually get from running.
    Laney recently posted..Cookies N Cream PopcornMy Profile

4. GiGi Eats Celebrities
    November 27, 2012 | 1:41 pm

What my friend and I have been doing it taking advantage of all the PILATES studios in LA that offer first class free! We’ve been doing one class a week for the past 3 months, ah ha ha ha! It’s a lot of fun to scope out the scene and see which studios are best and which kinda suck – and trust me, there have been some duds. But you never feel badly because you don’t even pay a dime! :) Sadly, we are coming to the end of our “free classes” list… Now on to the $5 or $10 first classes! LOL! Still totally worth it.

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      November 27, 2012 | 2:48 pm

I didn’t even think about looking for some free classes. Hopefully there will be some good ones around Christmas/New Years time!

5. Running Hutch
    November 27, 2012 | 1:41 pm

Great idea. Try CrossFit!!! If anything, when you’re ready to race again you’ll be glad it doesn’t cost you an arm and leg. [o: This reminded me of an article I read somewhere about a guy who only runs between like June and October, or something like that. He claims that it keeps him from getting burnt out on races and training, and then every year come June he is SO excited to get out there again and run. Maybe a bit extreme but I thought it was an interesting approach.
    Running Hutch recently posted..Not lost. Just stranded.My Profile

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      November 27, 2012 | 2:49 pm

I’m a little scared to try Crossfit but maybe I should toughen up a little bit and give it a try!

6. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life
    November 27, 2012 | 1:56 pm

I agree on CrossFit. I was ready to quit running when I did CrossFit because it’s just as addicting! I also love a good workout DVD – Jillian Michaels is a fav!
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Prospect Park Turkey Trot RecapMy Profile

• Carly D. @ CarlyBananas
      November 27, 2012 | 2:50 pm

I’m really nervous about trying Crossfit. I’m not super competitive haha. But I guess I can’t tell if I like it without trying it!

7. Sana
    November 27, 2012 | 3:06 pm

You might enjoy a TRX class? I am kinda enjoying running for fun. Like 1-3 miles at a slow pace. Maybe you can just do it occasionally?
    Sana recently posted..Track Night + Winter Running GearMy Profile

8. Christine @ Love, Life, Surf
    November 27, 2012 | 3:44 pm

I think that it’s totally healthy to take a break and I think that it’s a good thing that you are, especially if it’s feeling like it’s a burden and your not enjoying it in the same way. I would love to try Crossfit. Otherwise, I’d say spinning, yoga, TRX…
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Scenes from my weekend: Disney and ThanksgivingMy Profile

9. Pavement Runner
    November 27, 2012 | 3:50 pm

Listen to the body. A break might just be exactly what you need. When you do go back to it, start off really small and for fun. Run based on feel, no watch, no distance, no time. Just run and be at peace with it. Running shouldn’t be a chore. That may be why you are having issues with it.

Happy break.
    Pavement Runner recently posted..North Face 50 Mile Preview — Here We Go!My Profile

10. Elle
    November 27, 2012 | 5:32 pm

I did the same thing after running a half marathon mid-may. Have been running 5 or 6 km twice a week cause I love it and it’s fun…but now I have time to do other things such as strength and core work that I also love. You just can’t do it ALL! And have time to LIVE, too.
    Elle recently posted..Testing My Simple Hydration BottleMy Profile

11. Charlotte
    November 27, 2012 | 6:18 pm

Sometimes you just need a break from something you thought would be a part of you forever. There is nothing wrong with that! In fact, it takes a level of maturity to realize this!

When I was injured and couldn’t run, I turned to yoga. It isn’t the same endorphin rush by any means, but with time it became the same mental escape. I was able to quiet my mind the way I could during running.

I hope you find something that works for you!
    Charlotte recently posted..A Yogi Love StoryMy Profile

12. Ali
    November 27, 2012 | 7:57 pm

I go through phases as well with it. You have to listen to your body. You can always get back into it!
    Ali recently posted..Start Now with Gaiam TVMy Profile

13. Amanda Brooks
    November 27, 2012 | 8:40 pm

I think that’s totally ok, sometimes we all need a break to remind us what we loved about it or find that something else fits better. Have fun with the trainer!

14. Tina @ Best Body Fitness
    November 27, 2012 | 9:00 pm

Best Body Bootcamp. cough. cough. what?

In all seriousness, though, I am glad to hear that you are doing what will make you feel happy and fulfilled and be best for your body. And mind. I would say mix things up with some strength training. For DVDs, I really like Jillian’s, Physique 57, and Cathe.
    Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..#RnRNOLA Training: Week 3My Profile

15. Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie
    November 27, 2012 | 9:17 pm

Way to do what’s best for you girl!! It’s sucks when you have to do something you may not necessarily want to but it’s the right thing for your body. You got this. <3
    Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Girls NightMy Profile

16. Jess
    November 27, 2012 | 11:32 pm

Definitely nothing wrong with taking a break from running. I especially love using the off-season to mess around with other stuff. I think it helps prevent burn out and makes me excited to run again once the weather is better. Any races I train for in early spring I only make just for fun so I don’t have to kill myself with long runs if I don’t want to.
    Jess recently posted..Post-Thanksgiving Catch UpMy Profile

17. misszippy
    November 28, 2012 | 7:49 am

Carly–I think it’s great that you recognize this and tune into it. Running doesn’t have to be your thing, or it doesn’t have to be your thing right now. Fitness is about doing what works for you, when it works for you.

Good luck finding some other fun things to do!
    misszippy recently posted..Looks can be deceivingMy Profile

18. Emily B.
    November 28, 2012 | 11:25 am

What a coincidence, I just came by the same realization yesterday- well, officially yesterday but its been slowly dawning on me. I was running regularly over the summer, but not enjoying myself. I tried to just chalk it up to the miserable humidity and heat. I decided to just stop and wait until the better weather came.

It’s been prime morning running weather…and yet no motivation. I was still really into my strength training and yoga, it was just running that I had no desire to do. On Monday I went to spin class for the first time in a few months and walked away feeling totally invigorated. And that’s when it hit me- I LOVE spinning, and never have a ‘bad’ spin class, I ALWAYS feel fantastic afterwards. The same can’t be said for running- as much as I love great runs (there’s nothing like that high) they are very few and far between for me. Most are just slogs. So I’m going to be a spinning devotee for the time being, and use the dog walks as my outdoors time. And I don’t feel (too) bad about it.

You should just try out a bunch of different stuff. Living Social and Groupon always have deals for different yoga and fitness stuff (personally I find Living Social better) and it’s a good way to find things you enjoy for relatively cheaply. Good luck an congrats on realizing what’s best for your body.

19. sugarmagnolia70
    November 28, 2012 | 12:37 pm

You know, we do this because it’s fun. Usually, anyway, lol. If it’s not fun anymore, it’s time to re-evaluate goals, etc. I’m glad you are—you’ll be back to running with new goals before you know it.
    sugarmagnolia70 recently posted..Setting My 2013 Race CalendarMy Profile

20. Coco
    November 30, 2012 | 11:22 pm

With no races on my calendar, my running has been stress free, and I’ve made room for other things – like bike rides and random workouts on my JumpSport trampoline. Are there free classes at your gym?
    Coco recently posted..Three Things Thursday (The Cranberry Edition)My Profile

21. Lisa
    December 13, 2012 | 6:16 pm

Your title made me laugh! I am feeling the same way but it’s due to injury. I had a running injury a few years ago and that kind of ruined me for racing. Now, 2 years later I have another injury and I’m kind of mentally over it. Running isn’t doing me any good! :(
    Lisa recently posted..Healthy WinnerMy Profile

22. Alyssa
    December 16, 2012 | 9:37 pm

Carly, I have been feeling the same way! I’ve been consistently doing yoga a few times a week and that really helps a lot!
    Alyssa recently posted..A Look Back at 2012My Profile

23. clarion hotel albuquerque
    October 18, 2013 | 9:41 pm

When used together, they represent one from the smartest methods for
    you to get your message to those prospects most likely to stay within your hotel.
    It makes no difference the length of time you desire to stay, you are able to always get a better hotel deal.
    Devote eventually inside the KLCC Recreation area or maybe take Fluffy
    for the walk and luxuriate inside the cozy of seizure collectively within the dog enticing area.
    clarion hotel albuquerque recently posted..clarion hotel albuquerqueMy Profile